- How do I get certified?
- Where can I go to school?
- What is the required education?
- How do I complete the online Application for Certification?
- What Items will I need to have completed ahead of time?
- What if I already have a degree, can I use this for hours?
- I have been in the field for many years, can I test in?
- Are there any waivers on the forms needed for certification?
- What if I can't find my supervisor/instructor?
- Who can verify my hours?
- What is grandparenting? Am I allowed to grandparent?
- I did not get my certification renewal invoice, what can I do?
- What are the requirements for recertification?
- What is the difference between CE's(Advanced Hours) and PDH, and how many of each do I need?
- Do I still need to submit copies of my certificates, even though I listed them on the training log?
- Do I have to be a member to be certified?
- Where do I fit in on the career ladder?
- When will I receive my new credential?
- Who has to test to become CCAPP certified?
- What are the costs involved with the credential?
- Who can certify in California and do I have a choice?
- I am certified with another certifying organization; where do I fit in on the CCAPP Career Path?
- Have state requirements for certification changed?
- What does CCAPP's 2017 Career Ladder entail?
To obtain certification with CCAPP, you will need to complete the educational, field practical experience (internship), and work experience to meet the requirements to apply for certification. To apply for certification, you must complete the portfolio process through our online portal or download the forms from the forms page and mail in the required documents. Do not do both, this will cause a delay in the processing of your application and possibly additional fees.
You may choose to go to any school that you would like to attend. CCAPP does have a list of the Approved Schools on our webpage, under the Education tab on the home page. You are not required to attend these schools specifically, and CCAPP cannot recommend one school over another. If you would like additional information on these schools, please contact the school that you are interested in attending and speak to a career counselor.
For the required education, please see our Education tab and click on Academic Content Areas. This outlines the required education that you must complete prior to applying for certification.
To complete the online application, you will first need to create an account with the CCAPP website. If you already have an account, but are not able to access the information, please contact the office at email@example.com. We will be able to reset your account via email. Once you are logged into your account, click on the certification tab, and scroll down to the credential that you feel you qualify for, and click on the credential name. This will take you to the online application for the portfolio process.
You will need to have the following information prior to being able to complete your portfolio. Please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions that you have about the information below.
1. Official Transcripts-Must be emailed to email@example.com from a representative of the school, and cannot come from the student directly. If your school does not participate in transcript emailing, please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Official Transcripts-If you choose to go to a non CCAPP approved school, you must submit copies of the course descriptions from the school catalog.
3. Internship Evaluation- You will need your supervisor's email address and you will need to assign your Field Practicum Supervisor for this step. They will then create a supervisor account from an email link that they receive via email, and they will log in and sign the Practicum Log and Internship Evaluation.
4. Practicum Log-you will need your instructor's email address to complete the Practicum Log via on the online application. To access this information your Instructor will receive an email once your supervisor has completed and submitted your internship evaluation and practicum logs. This email will not be sent until this step has been completed.
5. Employment Verification Letter- If you are applying for a higher credential, you will need to obtain a letter from your current employer stating that you are currently employed there. This letter must be on company letter head, and signed and dated within 60 days of submission to the office.
6. Verification of Supervised Counseling Experience- if you are applying for a CADC I/CADC II, your supervisor will need to complete the online verification form. To complete this form, please scroll to the blue section at the bottom of this page and click on Hours Toward Certification. You will enter your supervisor's email address and they will verify your hours for you.
7. One Peer Recommendation Letter (1) - You will need one email address of a colleague that you currently work with in the AOD profession that is willing to write a recommendation letter for you. This letter cannot be from a supervisor, or from an instructor.
8. Photo- You will need to scan a copy of a passport photo to be included with your portfolio.
9. Required Fees- Total for a member is $309, this includes the exam. Membership is separate from a registry status. To find out if you are a current member in good standing. please contact the office at email@example.com. If you are not a member, and would like to take out membership, please complete the online membership application that you can access at ccapp.us/membership/individual/. If you do not want to take out membership, the fees are $618.
Beginning January 1, 2017, degrees will no longer be accepted to reduce hours. Please see question #23 to see which credential you qualify for if you hold an appropriate degree.
CCAPP Credentialing will no longer offer the testing in option for counselors. All individuals will need to meet the current requirements for certification. Please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org via email to clarify any questions.
CCAPP Credentialing does not have any waivers for the required information. If you have an issue getting a form completed, please contact Amanda at email@example.com.
If you are unable to locate your supervisor or practicum instructor, all individuals wiill be required to conduct a thorough search for your supervisor. The office will conduct their own search for your supervisor. Most of whom can be located through a google search. If you are still unable to locate the individual(s), please contact Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The person that can verify your hours, must be certified with CCAPP as a CADC I, CADC II, CCS, or LAADC/LAADC-S, or meet the definition of an appropriate supervisor. The applications clarify this information further on the hours verification form of who can supervise whom for the credential in which applicants are applying. We do not accept letters from HR as verification of hours, and your information will be deferred until this information has been received correctly in the office.
Grandparenting is when an organization allows applicants to receive a credential when they have not met all of the requirements normally required for approval (most often a testing requirement is waived). CCAPP is not offering any grand parenting opportunities.
You can locate the renewal of certification application hard copy on the forms page here.
Applicants for renewal will need 40 Continuing education units by a CCAPP approved provider in alcohol and drug counseling to include six hours specific to counselor ethics, and 10 Professional Development hours that can be completed anywhere and are trainings that the applicant has attended that enhance professionalism
CE"s are by an approved CCAPP Provider, and the list for those can be found here. You will need 40 of these hours in SUD education, including 6 hours specifically in counselor ethics, and the other 10 can come from anywhere. The PDH trainings must in some way, assist you professionally, such as additional school education that was not previously used to meet education requirements. To submit school educational hours for PDH, you will need to submit an unofficial copy of your transcript showing successful completion of the course within the last 2 years, but these will still only count for PDH hours. You can take all of training hours as approved CE hours, but you cannot take all PDH trainings to meet the requirements for certification.
Yes, you will need to submit copies of your trainings to the office with your renewal application, or you will need to scan and upload these to the online renewal application.
If you were Registered or Certified with Breining prior to 8/28/2014, you can transfer your registry only. Please click on the CCAPP Transfer application button on the CCAPP home page to submit the online application to transfer your current registry to CCAPP. Please allow 2-4 weeks for the evaluation of your application to determine where you will fit into the new CCAPP career path. You will be required to meet all CCAPP requirements if you choose to certify with CCAPP. Transferring your registry status to another certifying organization will not extend theh five year limit on registry, and you will still expire at your five years from the time that you became initially registered with another board.
No. However, there are significant discounts for certification, testing and conferences, as well as many individual benefits for becoming a member. You may apply for membership by clicking here.
Certificates will be sent out in no specific order as they are able to be processed. Please log into your online account and update your personal information on the CCAPP website at www.ccapp.us to ensure that your e-mail and birth date are in our system. Credentials CANNOT be processed without this information. Counselors and registrants must continue to keep credentials current in order to stay in compliance with DHCS regulations.
If you need to verify your new credential before receiving the paper certificate, please search CCAPP’s verification page to see your current status.
Applicants who are not previously certified must pass the test required for the level being applied for. Applicants applying for a transfer must complete the transfer application on our home page, and click on the tile for transfer to CCAPP and at that time, will be notified of testing options given the information provided in the application.
There are three certifying organizations with authority to certify counselors for the purpose of working in a facility licensed or certified by the Department of Health Care Services. Counselors may choose, at any time, to transfer certification to another organization. Be aware that phrases such as "transitioning to" or promises of certification at a future date are not valid for documenting certified status with the Department of Health Care Services. You must have written documentation attesting to your CURRENT, not future status, to comply with regulations. All CCAPP credentials are valid in the state of California. All transfers accepted by CCAPP are provided with documentation to meet state regulations within 30 days of receipt of the application.
Applications for transfer are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Every effort is made to award the applicant the highest level of certification given current education, supervised work experience and testing levels. To find out where you nmay fit into our current career path, please contact email@example.com
No. The only change recently noticed by the Department of Health Care Services is the announcement made on September 10, 2014 that ALL Breining certified and registered counselors must transfer credentials on or before March 19, 2015. CCAPP is no longer able to accept certification transfers and all applicants are required to apply and take and pass the IC&RC examination for the credential that they wish to apply for. To view the department's bulletin regarding the requirement for Breining credentials to transfer, click here. This is an official document from the state regulatory authority for California and should not be ignored.